As information about the global outbreak of the coronavirus and its presence in the U.S. and other parts of the world continues to rapidly evolve, we want to assure you that De La Salle Collegiate is committed to the safety and well-being of all Pilots.
The Archdiocese of Detroit’s Department of Catholic Schools is directing diocesan schools, including ours, to close on Friday, March 13 and Monday, March 16, for deep cleaning and to allow administration and faculty to discern and prepare for possible options going forward.
For the latest information from the AOD and their response with recommendations for both parishes and schools, please click here.
On Monday, we will begin training staff on the manner in which we would handle such an extended closure. Although no members of the De La Salle community have tested positive for coronavirus, we are prepping our staff for the possibility of transitioning temporarily to online instruction. In that case, the students would receive lessons, lectures, and assignments via Google Classroom,
We are preparing for any potential impact that may affect our school and students and will follow any recommendations from local, state and federal officials to ensure the safety of our community.
We will continue to monitor student absences and illnesses, and ask that those who either go home sick or are sent home with a fever or other symptom, remain at home until they have recovered. We ask for 36 hours fever free; this applies to staff and students.
We continue to use proper procedures to control the spread of germs, from encouraging proper hand-washing and cough-covering, to cleaning commonly touched surfaces frequently with disinfectant.
Updates on other organizations with closures affecting De La Salle:
· Tonight’s Christian Brothers Dinner Honoree Reception for Gary Buslepp has been postponed until a later date.
· All MHSAA winter tournaments, including boys’ basketball district finals this Friday, and swim state finals Saturday, are suspended, effective immediately and indefinitely. As of now, there is no change to our spring sports teams’ schedules.
· The Christian Brothers Auxiliary’s annual Spring Fantasy Fashion Show, scheduled for March, 18 has been postponed.
· FIRST Robotics Michigan organization has postponed the district events for March 19-21 at Center Line High School. The national organization for FIRST Robotics has canceled the World Championship in Detroit next month.
· The National Honor Society Cords and Stole Ceremony scheduled for March 19 has been postponed until a later date.
For more resources regarding De La Salle and how its partner companies are dealing with the coronavirus, please refer to these documents:
We will continue to keep all families up to date and monitor this situation.
St. John Baptist de La Salle ... pray for us.
Live Jesus in our hearts, forever.
Nathan R. Maus